Tuesday, July 27, 2010
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DUCT TAPE
• Duct tape was developed in 1942, during World War II.
• The standard width of duct tape: 1.875in. (48mm).
• It is standard equipment on most American space missions - in 1970 it saved the lives of the Apollo 13 crewmembers when it was used to attach a square carbon dioxide filter to a round fitting.
• In the procedural manuals for the International Space Station, duct tape is recommended for restraining astronaut crewmembers suffering from "acute psychosis" (a.k.a. - "space madness").
• In the Alaskan wilderness, in 2010, a guy repaired his plane with duct tape after a bear had destroyed it.